Historia de O-6 SS-67 - Historia

Historia de O-6 SS-67 - Historia

0-6
(SS-67: dp. 520.6 (surf. N.), 629 (subm.); 1. 172'4 ", b. 18 '~"; dr. 14'5 "; s. 14 k. (Surf. ), 10,5 k. (Subm.); Cpl. 29; a. 1 3 ", 4 18" tt .; cl. 0-1).

O-6, fue establecido el 6 de diciembre de 1916 por Fore River Shim Building Co., Quincy, Mass .; lanzado el 25 de noviembre de 1917; patrocinado por la Sra. Carrol Q. Wright; y comisionado en Boston el 12 de junio de 1918, el teniente C. Q. Wright, Jr., al mando.

Durante los últimos meses de la Primera Guerra Mundial, O 6 operaba desde Filadelfia, en patrulla costera contra submarinos, navegando desde Cape Cod hasta Key West. Un mercante británico disparó 6 tiros a o-6 el 14 de julio de 1918, pero no causó daños apreciables. El 2 de noviembre, el barco partió de Newport en un contingente de 20 submarinos con destino al servicio en aguas europeas, sin embargo, el Armisticio se había firmado antes de que los barcos llegaran a las Azores y regresaran a los Estados Unidos.

¡Después de la guerra, Ot! prolongó su carrera naval operando como buque escuela en New London. Reclasificado a un submarino de segunda línea el 25 de julio de 1924 mientras estaba estacionado en Coco Solo, C.Z., volvió a la clase de primera línea el 6 de junio de 1928 y continuó en New London hasta febrero de 1929, cuando navegó a Filadelfia, para desmantelar allí el 9 de junio de 1931.

Los submarinos habían demostrado ser un arma importante en la Primera Guerra Mundial. A medida que se acercaba la participación de Estados Unidos en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, se sacaron viejos submarinos de naftalina y se prepararon para renovar las actividades de entrenamiento. Se volvió a poner en servicio en Filadelfia el 4 de febrero de 1941 y luego regresó a New London para capacitar a los estudiantes en la subescuela. El 19 de junio de 1941, O ~ hizo un viaje de prueba a Portsmouth, N.H., al día siguiente, O-9 descendió a 15 millas de Portsmouth. O ~ se unió a 0-10, Triton y otros barcos en la búsqueda del submarino perdido, pero fue en vano.

Permaneciendo en el área de Portsmouth, O ~ fue desmantelado allí el 11 de septiembre de 1945, fue eliminado del Registro de la Armada el mismo día y vendido a John J. Duane Co., de Quincy el 4 de septiembre de 1946. El barco fue posteriormente desguazado en diciembre de 1946.


Flashback en la historia marítima: explosión del SS Mont Blanc en Halifax el 6 de diciembre de 1917 (video)

(www.MaritimeCyprus.com) L a explosión de Halifax se produjo cuando dos barcos chocaron en la parte más estrecha del puerto de Halifax en la mañana del jueves 6 de diciembre de 1917. SS Mont Blanc, un barco francés llegaba desde la ciudad de Nueva York lleno de explosivos militares y municiones desde Nueva York a Francia para la Primera Guerra Mundial en Europa. Además de las 2.925 toneladas de explosivos en su bodega, llevaba barriles de benzol y ácido pícrico altamente inflamables en la cubierta. Incapaz de viajar con su convoy programado a través del Atlántico, el Mont Blanc fue a Halifax para poder viajar con un nuevo grupo.

Llegó la noche anterior y tuvo que esperar fuera de la red antisubmarina que protegía el puerto. Al amanecer, comenzó a moverse hacia el puerto. Normalmente, un barco de municiones enarbolaría una bandera roja para advertir a otros de la carga peligrosa, pero el Mont Blanc no levantó su bandera de advertencia.

Arriba a la izquierda: SS Mont Blanc. Abajo a la izquierda: SS Imo encallado. Derecha: Segundos después de la explosión.

Mientras tanto, el SS Imo, un barco noruego que transportaba suministros de socorro belga que había estado detenido en el puerto durante varios días, comenzó a moverse por el puerto hacia el Atlántico. los ImoEl capitán estaba enojado porque se había retrasado y se hizo a la mar sin el permiso del capitán del puerto.

Los dos barcos estaban maniobrando para posicionarse cuando se encontraron en el Estrecho entre Halifax en la costa sur y Dartmouth en la costa norte. Inicialmente, el Imo se negó a ceder. Una vez que empezó a salir del Mont BlancEn el camino, no podía moverse lo suficientemente rápido como para evitar una colisión.

Halifax, después de la explosión

Los barriles en cubierta se soltaron con el impacto, y las chispas del metal raspado encendieron el benzol que se había derramado por la cubierta. los Mont BlancEl capitán reconoció el terrible peligro de estos incendios y abandonó el barco, remando con la tripulación hasta la costa de Dartmouth. El dañado y ardiente Mont Blanc se fue a la orilla en la zona del muelle densamente poblada de Halifax.

Las multitudes se reunieron en la orilla y en las ventanas para ver encallar el barco en llamas. Barriles de benzol comenzaron a dispararse al aire como fuegos artificiales y explotaron. Más personas se reunieron para mirar. Aproximadamente 20 minutos después de la colisión, a las 9:04 a.m., los incendios encendieron las 2,925 toneladas de municiones en el Mont Blanc y el barco explotó.

Una fracción de segundo: esa es la duración de la explosión que destrozó el Mont-Blanc y causó un daño tan colosal en el puerto de Halifax. Se estima que la temperatura en el epicentro de la explosión alcanzó los 5.000 C, lo que vaporizó el agua que rodeaba el barco. Sorprendentemente, el impacto rompió ventanas a más de 80 kilómetros de distancia. Toda la tripulación sobrevivió, excepto un individuo que murió por la caída de escombros. Sin embargo, la explosión fue tan poderosa que destruyó la mayor parte de los edificios y casas cercanas, matando a aproximadamente 2,000 residentes en Halifax y Dartmouth.

Mire el documental en video relevante a continuación:


6.7L hechos concretos

Producción: 2011 al presente Tren de válvulas: OHV, cuatro válvulas, cuatro balancines y cuatro varillas de empuje por cilindro, leva simple, elevadores de rodillos
Aburrir: 3,90 pulgadas Sistema de inyección: Common-rail de alta presión, inyección directa
Carrera: 4,25 pulgadas Inyectores: Common Rail piezoeléctrico de alta presión de Bosch
Desplazamiento: 406 ci Bomba de inyeccion: Bomba de combustible de alta presión Bosch CP4.2
Índice de compresión: 16.2:1 Turbocompresor: Geometría variable Garrett GT32 SST ('11-'14), VGT Garrett GT37 ('15-actual)
Cuadra: Hierro grafito compactado de faldón profundo (CGI) Intercooler: Aire-agua
Varillas: Metal en polvo Emisiones: Recirculación de gases de escape (EGR), catalizador de oxidación diésel (DOC), filtro de partículas diésel (DPF), reducción catalítica selectiva (SCR)
Pistones: Aluminio moldeado Caballo de fuerza: 390 CV a 2800 rpm (versión inicial), 400 CV a 2800 rpm (reflash H.O. '11-'14), 440 CV a 2800 rpm ('15-'17), 450 CV a 2.800 rpm ('18-actual)
Jefes: Aluminio fundido, flujo inverso con seis pernos de cabeza de 12 mm por cilindro (con compartición) Esfuerzo de torsión: 735 libras-pie a 1.600 rpm (versión inicial), 800 libras-pie a 1.600 rpm (reflash HO '11 -'14), 860 libras-pie a 1.600 rpm ('15 -'16), 925 libras-pie a 1.800 rpm ('17), 935 libras-pie a 1.800 rpm (corriente '18)

Campo de concentración de Dachau: historia y descripción general

Establecido en marzo de 1933, el campo de concentración de Dachau fue el primer campo de concentración regular establecido por los nazis en Alemania. El campamento estaba ubicado en los terrenos de una fábrica de municiones abandonada cerca de la ciudad medieval de Dachau, a unas 10 millas al noroeste de Munich en el estado de Baviera, que se encuentra en el sur de Alemania. Heinrich Himmler, en su calidad de presidente de la policía de Munich, describió oficialmente el campo como "el primer campo de concentración para prisioneros políticos".

Dachau sirvió como prototipo y modelo para otros campos de concentración nazis que siguieron. Kommandant Theodor Eicke desarrolló su organización básica, el diseño del campamento y el plan de los edificios y se aplicaron a todos los campamentos posteriores. Tenía un campamento seguro separado cerca del centro de comando, que consistía en viviendas, administración y campamentos del ejército. El propio Eicke se convirtió en el inspector jefe de todos los campos de concentración, responsable de moldear a los demás según su modelo.

Durante el primer año, el campo mantuvo a unos 4.800 prisioneros y en 1937 el número había aumentado a 13.260. Inicialmente, los internados estaban compuestos principalmente por comunistas alemanes, socialdemócratas y otros opositores políticos del régimen nazi. Con el tiempo, otros grupos también fueron internados en Dachau, como los Testigos de Jehová, los romaníes (gitanos) y los homosexuales, así como los "socialistas" y los delincuentes reincidentes. Durante los primeros años, relativamente pocos judíos fueron internados en Dachau y, por lo general, porque pertenecían a uno de los grupos anteriores o habían cumplido condenas de prisión después de ser condenados por violar las leyes de Nuremberg de 1935.


La puerta principal que conduce al campo de concentración de Dachau.

A principios de 1937, las SS, utilizando mano de obra prisionera, iniciaron la construcción de un gran complejo de edificios en los terrenos del campo original. Los presos se vieron obligados a realizar este trabajo, comenzando por la destrucción de la antigua fábrica de municiones, en condiciones terribles. La construcción se completó oficialmente a mediados de agosto de 1938 y el campo permaneció esencialmente sin cambios hasta 1945. Dachau, por lo tanto, permaneció en funcionamiento durante todo el período del Tercer Reich. El área de Dachau incluía otras instalaciones de las SS junto al campo de concentración y la escuela líder de la administración pública y económica de mdasha, la escuela de medicina de las SS, etc. El KZ (Konzentrationslager) en ese momento se llamaba "campo de custodia protectora" y ocupaba menos de la mitad del área de todo el complejo.

El número de prisioneros judíos en Dachau aumentó con el aumento de la persecución de los judíos y del 10 al 11 de noviembre de 1938, a raíz de la Kristallnacht, más de 10,000 hombres judíos fueron internados allí. (La mayoría de los hombres de este grupo fueron liberados después de estar encarcelados de unas pocas semanas a unos meses).

El campo de Dachau era un centro de entrenamiento para los guardias de los campos de concentración de las SS, y la organización y la rutina del campo y los rsquos se convirtieron en el modelo para todos los campos de concentración nazis. El campamento se dividió en dos secciones: el área del campamento y el área de los crematorios. El área del campamento constaba de 32 barracones, incluido uno para el clero encarcelado por oponerse al régimen nazi y otro reservado para experimentos médicos. La administración del campo estaba ubicada en la entrada principal. El área del campamento contaba con un grupo de edificios de apoyo, que contenían la cocina, lavandería, duchas y talleres, así como un bloque de prisión (Bunker). El patio entre la prisión y la cocina central se utilizó para la ejecución sumaria de los presos. Una cerca electrificada de alambre de púas, una zanja y un muro con siete torres de vigilancia rodeaban el campamento.

En 1942, se construyó el área del crematorio junto al campamento principal. Incluía el antiguo crematorio y el nuevo crematorio (Cuartel X) con una cámara de gas. No hay evidencia creíble de que la cámara de gas del Barrack X se haya utilizado para asesinar a seres humanos. En lugar de ello, los prisioneros se sometieron a una “selección por alto” y los que fueron juzgados demasiado enfermos o débiles para continuar trabajando fueron enviados al centro de exterminio de Hartheim y ldquoeutanasia cerca de Linz, Austria. Varios miles de prisioneros de Dachau fueron asesinados en Hartheim. Además, las SS utilizaron el campo de tiro y la horca en el área de los crematorios como lugares de matanza para los prisioneros.

En Dachau, como en otros campos nazis, los médicos alemanes realizaron experimentos médicos con prisioneros, incluidos experimentos a gran altitud utilizando una cámara de descompresión, experimentos de malaria y tuberculosis, experimentos de hipotermia y experimentos de prueba de nuevos medicamentos. Los presos también se vieron obligados a probar métodos para hacer potable el agua de mar y detener el sangrado excesivo. Cientos de prisioneros murieron o quedaron paralizados permanentemente como resultado de estos experimentos.

Los presos también fueron torturados de otras formas. Por ejemplo, los prisioneros serían colgados de un árbol con los brazos colgados detrás de ellos para maximizar el dolor. Como en otros campos, los prisioneros fueron obligados a permanecer de pie durante largos períodos mientras se pasaba lista. La orquesta del campo tocaba y las SS a veces hacían cantar a los prisioneros.

Los prisioneros de Dachau fueron utilizados como trabajos forzados. Al principio, fueron empleados en el funcionamiento del campamento, en varios proyectos de construcción y en pequeñas industrias artesanales establecidas en el campamento. Los presos construían carreteras, trabajaban en pozos de grava y drenaban marismas. Durante la guerra, el trabajo forzoso utilizando prisioneros de campos de concentración se volvió cada vez más importante para la producción de armamento alemán.

Dachau también sirvió como el campo central para los prisioneros religiosos cristianos. Según los registros de la Iglesia Católica Romana, al menos 3.000 religiosos, diáconos, sacerdotes y obispos fueron encarcelados allí.

En agosto de 1944 se abrió un campamento de mujeres y rsquos dentro de Dachau. Su primer envío de mujeres vino de Auschwitz-Birkenau. Solo 19 mujeres guardias sirvieron en Dachau, la mayoría de ellas hasta la liberación.


El cuartel de los prisioneros en Dachau en 1945

En los últimos meses de la guerra, las condiciones en Dachau empeoraron. A medida que las fuerzas aliadas avanzaban hacia Alemania, los alemanes comenzaron a trasladar a los prisioneros de los campos de concentración cerca del frente a campos más céntricos. Esperaban evitar la liberación de un gran número de prisioneros. Los transportes de los campamentos evacuados llegaban continuamente a Dachau. Después de días de viaje con poca o ninguna comida o agua, los prisioneros llegaron débiles y exhaustos, a menudo al borde de la muerte. Las epidemias de tifus se convirtieron en un problema grave como resultado del hacinamiento, las malas condiciones sanitarias, las provisiones insuficientes y el estado debilitado de los presos.

Debido a los continuos nuevos transportes desde el frente, el campamento estaba constantemente sobrepoblado y las condiciones de higiene estaban por debajo de la dignidad humana. Desde finales de 1944 hasta el día de la liberación, murieron 15.000 personas, aproximadamente la mitad de todas las víctimas en KZ Dachau. Quinientos prisioneros de guerra soviéticos fueron ejecutados por un pelotón de fusilamiento.

En el verano y el otoño de 1944, para aumentar la producción de guerra, se establecieron campamentos satélites bajo la administración de Dachau cerca de las fábricas de armamento en todo el sur de Alemania. Solo Dachau tenía más de 30 grandes subcampos en los que más de 30.000 prisioneros trabajaban casi exclusivamente en armamento. Trabajaron hasta la muerte a miles de prisioneros.

Comandantes de Dachau

  • SS-Standartenf & uumlhrer Hilmar W & aumlckerle (22/03/1933 - 26/06/1933)
  • SS-Gruppenf y uumlhrer Theodor Eicke (26/06/1933 - 07/04/1934)
  • SS-Oberf y uumlhrer Alexander Reiner (07/04/1934 - 22/10/1934)
  • SS-Brigadef y uumlhrer Berthold Maack (22/10/1934 - 12/01/1934)
  • SS-Oberf y uumlhrer Heinrich Deubel (12/01/1934 - 31/03/1936)
  • SS-Oberf y uumlhrer Hans Loritz (31/03/1936 - 07/01/1939)
  • SS-Hauptsturmf y uumlhrer Alex Piorkowski (01/07/1939 - 01/02/1942)
  • SS-Obersturmbannf y uumlhrer Martin Weiss (03/01/1942 - 30/09/1943)
  • SS-Hauptsturmf y uumlhrer Wilhelm Weiter (30/09/1943 - 26/04/1945)
  • SS-Obersturmbannf y uumlhrer Martin Weiss (26/04/1945 - 28/04/1945)
  • SS-Untersturmf y uumlhrer Johannes Otto (28/04/1945 - 28/04/1945)
  • SS-Sturmscharf y uumlhrer Heinrich Wicker (28/04/1945 - 29/04/1945)

La liberación de Dachau

A medida que las fuerzas aliadas avanzaban hacia Alemania, los alemanes empezaron a sacar más prisioneros de los campos de concentración cercanos al frente para evitar la liberación de un gran número de prisioneros. Los transportes de los campamentos evacuados llegaban continuamente a Dachau, lo que provocaba un dramático deterioro de las condiciones. Después de días de viaje, con poca o ninguna comida o agua, los prisioneros llegaron débiles y exhaustos, al borde de la muerte. Las epidemias de tifus se convirtieron en un problema grave debido al hacinamiento, las malas condiciones sanitarias y el debilitamiento de los presos.

El 26 de abril de 1945, a medida que se acercaban las fuerzas estadounidenses, había 67.665 prisioneros registrados en Dachau y sus subcampos. De estos, 43.350 fueron clasificados como presos políticos, mientras que 22.100 eran judíos, y el resto se clasificó en varias otras categorías. A partir de ese día, los alemanes obligaron a más de 7.000 prisioneros, en su mayoría judíos, a realizar una marcha de la muerte desde Dachau hasta Tegernsee, más al sur. Durante la marcha de la muerte, los alemanes dispararon a cualquiera que ya no pudiera continuar, muchos también murieron de hambre, frío o agotamiento.

El 29 de abril de 1945, KZ Dachau fue entregado al ejército estadounidense por SS-Sturmscharf & uumlhrer Heinrich Wicker. Una vívida descripción de la rendición aparece en Brig. Gen. Henning Linden & rsquos official & ldquoInforme sobre la rendición del campo de concentración de Dachau & rdquo:

A medida que avanzábamos por el lado oeste del campo de concentración y nos acercábamos a la esquina suroeste, tres personas se acercaron por el camino bajo una bandera de tregua. Conocimos a estas personas a unas 75 yardas al norte de la entrada suroeste del campamento. Estas tres personas eran un representante de la Cruz Roja Suiza y dos soldados de las SS que dijeron que eran el comandante del campo y el comandante asistente del campo y que habían llegado al campo la noche del 28 para reemplazar al personal regular del campo con el propósito de entregando el campamento a los estadounidenses que avanzaban. El representante de la Cruz Roja Suiza actuó como intérprete y declaró que había alrededor de 100 guardias de las SS en el campamento que tenían las armas apiladas, excepto las personas en la torre. Dijo que había dado instrucciones de que no se dispararían disparos y que se necesitarían unos 50 hombres para relevar a los guardias, ya que había 42.000 prisioneros de guerra medio locos en el campo, muchos de ellos infectados con tifus. Me preguntó si era un oficial del ejército estadounidense, a lo que respondí: "Sí, soy el comandante adjunto de la división 42 y aceptaré la rendición del campamento en nombre de la División Arco Iris para el ejército estadounidense".


Prisioneros liberados del campo de Dachau animan a las tropas estadounidenses

A medida que se acercaban al campamento, encontraron más de 30 vagones de ferrocarril llenos de cadáveres llevados a Dachau, todos en avanzado estado de descomposición. A principios de mayo de 1945, las fuerzas estadounidenses liberaron a los prisioneros que habían sido enviados a la marcha de la muerte.

El general Dwight D. Eisenhower emitió un comunicado sobre la captura del campo de concentración de Dachau: “Nuestras fuerzas liberaron y barrieron el infame campo de concentración de Dachau. Aproximadamente 32.000 prisioneros fueron liberados 300 guardias del campo de las SS fueron rápidamente neutralizados. & Rdquo

Una tableta en el campo conmemora la liberación de Dachau por la 42ª División de Infantería del Séptimo Ejército de los EE. UU. El 29 de abril de 1945. Otros afirman que las primeras fuerzas en entrar en el campo principal fueron un batallón del 157º Regimiento de Infantería de la 45ª División de Infantería comandada por Felix L. Sparks. Existe un desacuerdo en curso sobre qué división, la 42 o la 45, realmente liberó a Dachau porque parece que se han acercado por diferentes rutas y, según la definición del ejército estadounidense, cualquiera que llegara a un campo de este tipo en 48 horas era un libertador. El general Patton visitó el campo de Buchenwald después de su liberación, pero no Dachau.

Los estadounidenses encontraron aproximadamente 32.000 prisioneros, apiñados 1.600 en cada uno de los 20 barracones, que habían sido diseñados para albergar a 250 personas cada uno.

El número de prisioneros encarcelados en Dachau entre 1933 y 1945 superó los 188.000. El número de prisioneros que murieron en el campo y los subcampos entre enero de 1940 y mayo de 1945 fue de al menos 28.000, a los que hay que añadir los que murieron allí entre 1933 y fines de 1939. Es poco probable que el número total de víctimas que murió en Dachau jamás se sabrá.

El 2 de noviembre de 2014, la puerta de metal pesado con el lema & quotArbeit Macht Frei & quot (el trabajo te libera) fue robada del sitio conmemorativo de Dachau al amparo de la oscuridad. Los oficiales de seguridad que supuestamente vigilan las 24 horas del día en el sitio conmemorativo creen que el atraco estuvo bien orquestado y planeado, y tuvo lugar entre la medianoche y las 5:30 am del domingo 2 de noviembre. Las estimaciones sitúan el peso de la puerta en al. 250 libras, por lo que los funcionarios creen que varias personas participaron en el robo.

Fuentes: Museo Conmemorativo del Holocausto de EE. UU.
& ldquoDachau campo de concentración, & rdquo Wikipedia
David Chrisinger, & ldquoUn diario secreto relató el & lsquoSatanic World & rsquo que fue Dachau, & rdquo New York Times, (4 de septiembre de 2020).

Descargue nuestra aplicación móvil para acceder sobre la marcha a la Biblioteca Virtual Judía


Historia de O-6 SS-67 - Historia

& # 8220Orient Line - Historia de la flota & # 8221

Tenga en cuenta : Firefox y algunos otros motores de búsqueda no son adecuados Usar & # 8220Internet Explorer & # 8221 para que esta página se cargue perfectamente!

Haga clic en el logotipo de arriba para acceder a la página principal de ssMaritime para obtener actualizaciones de noticias & amp & # 8220Ship of the Month & # 8221

Con Reuben Goossens

Historiador marítimo, crucero & # 8216n & # 8217; revisor de barcos, autor y conferencista marítimo

Tenga en cuenta : Todos los sitios de ssMaritime y otros sitios marítimos / de cruceros relacionados son 100% no comerciales y de propiedad privada. ¡Tenga la seguridad de que NO estoy asociado con ninguna compañía naviera o de cruceros ni con ninguna agencia de viajes / cruceros ni con ninguna otra organización! Aunque el autor ha estado en la industria del transporte de pasajeros desde 1960, aunque ahora está jubilado, pero habiendo completado alrededor de 6 80 Classic Liners y Cargo-Passengers Ships, confío en que continuarán brindando a los entusiastas de los barcos clásicos la información que buscan, pero sobre todo un gran placer! Reuben Goossens.

& # 8220Orient Line & # 8211 A Fleet History & # 8221
Un libro de Peter Newall

Durante más de 100 años, Orient Line fue una de las compañías navieras británicas más progresistas e innovadoras. También era la principal línea de pasajeros entre Gran Bretaña y Australia que transportaba a miles de personas en sus veleros y vapores. Con un prólogo de Lord Marshall, presidente de British Airways y antiguo sobrecargo de Orient Line, Orient Line a Fleet History traza por primera vez la historia completa de la compañía y sus barcos desde la formación de Anderson, Thomson and Company en 1863 hasta el absorción de Orient Line en P & ampO en 1966 y el breve resurgimiento de su nombre entre 1977 y 1987.

Peter Newall, autor de Union-Castle Line a Fleet History, ha producido lo que probablemente será la historia definitiva de la línea con historias individuales de 129 barcos, incluidos todos los barcos de vela desde 1863 en adelante, barcos y remolcadores propiedad de Orient Line Pacific Steam Navigation Company. buques utilizados en el servicio conjunto Orient Line entre 1878-1909 buques gestionados por la guerra y la serie de transportadores de gas licuado y graneleros de 1977-1987. Profusamente ilustrado con más de 400 imágenes, muchas de las cuales nunca han aparecido antes (incluidas 40 en color), este libro de 184 páginas también incluye información única sobre Orient Line en Tilbury y los puertos australianos, así como veintiuna páginas sobre la vida a bordo desde Orient hasta Oriana y otras nueve páginas sobre revestimientos Orient en construcción en Barrow-in-Furness.

& # 8220Orient Line & # 8211 Un historial de flota & # 8221

Está disponible por £ 23.50 más p & ampp de & # 8220Ships in Focus & # 8221

Visite también nuestras características en los siguientes barcos Orient Lines / P & ampO

& # 8220Blue Water Liners navegando hacia las costas distantes.
Los vi venir, los vi irse y los vi morir. & # 8221

Visita nuestro ÍNDICE principal marítimo ss

¡Donde descubrirás alrededor de 680 revestimientos clásicos de pasajeros y pasajeros y carga!

Donde los barcos del pasado hacen historia &erio el MV Doulos Story construido en 1914

Tenga en cuenta : ssmaritime y los sitios asociados son 100% no comerciales y el autor no busca financiación ni favores y nunca lo ha hecho y nunca lo hará.

Fotografías en ssmaritime y páginas asociadas son del autor o de la colección privada del autor. Además hay algunas imágenes y fotografías que han sido facilitadas por Navieras o fotógrafos privados o coleccionistas. Se da crédito a todos los colaboradores, sin embargo, se me han proporcionado algunas fotografías sin detalles sobre el fotógrafo o propietario en cuestión. Por lo tanto, invito a los propietarios de estas imágenes a darme a conocer (mi dirección de correo electrónico se puede encontrar en la parte inferior de la página en www.ssmaritime.com), para que el crédito correspondiente pueda ser dado.

ssMaritime es propiedad de & amp Copyright de Reuben Goossens - Todos los derechos reservados


La victoria de Chloé Zhao como Mejor Directora la convierte en su segunda mujer en la historia de los Oscar

Zhao venció a Emerald Fennell ("Mujer joven prometedora"), Thomas Vinterberg ("Otra ronda"), David Fincher ("Mank") y Lee Isaac Chung ("Minari") por uno de los principales premios de la noche.

“Nomadland” está protagonizada por Frances McDormand como Fern, quien emprende un viaje por el país en su camioneta después de perder su trabajo.

“La gente al nacer es inherentemente buena”, dijo Zhao mientras aceptaba su premio, citando un antiguo texto chino que su padre le enseñó cuando era niña. “Todavía les creo de verdad hoy, aunque a veces parezca que lo contrario es cierto. Siempre he encontrado bondad en las personas que he conocido ".

Antes de este año, solo cinco mujeres habían sido nominadas en la categoría de mejor director: Lina Wertmüller en 1977 por "Seven Beauties", Jane Campion en 1994 por "The Piano", Sofia Coppola en 2003 por "Lost in Translation", Kathryn Bigelow en 2010 por "The Hurt Locker" y Greta Gerwig en 2018 por "Lady Bird".


Historia

2TM es la primera y más antigua estación de radio de la ciudad rural de Tamworth, Australia, en Nueva Gales del Sur. También es la única estación de radio comercial en Tamworth en la banda AM.

La estación es parte de Super Radio Network, junto con la estación hermana 92.9FM.

1932: Se solicitó permiso para erigir un transmisor de radiodifusión en Tamworth. La propuesta fue presentada por dos hombres que habían estado involucrados en la formación de otra estación de radio de Nueva Gales del Sur, 2WG en Wollongong. Eran Tom Whitcombe y Ernest Higginbotham. El general Post-Master, el Sr. James Malone aprobó la presentación y, poco después, los dos hombres compraron un terreno frente a Manilla Road.

1934: Ernest Higginbotham y Tom Whitcombe recibieron una solicitud para establecer una estación de radio en Tamworth en agosto de 1934. La pareja recibió una licencia de clase & lsquoB & rsquo y el distintivo de llamada de 2WO que transmitiría a 50 vatios. Tom Whitcombe pidió prestado dinero al banco Commonwealth para construir una casa que se convertiría en su estudio de transmisión en Manilla Road. Esta casa recibió más tarde la dirección de 64 Peel Street. En diciembre de 1934, el distintivo de llamada se cambió a 2TM. se instaló un transmisor cerca en 80 Brisbane Street. La gente pudo comprar aparatos de radio de la estación que se vendieron pagando lo que se pueda y que fueron suministrados por Australian General Electric.

1935: 2TM Tamworth abrió oficialmente el 27 de febrero de 1935, 5 meses después de recibir su licencia de transmisión. Inició la transmisión en 1300 kilociclos. Tom Whitcombe realizó la inauguración oficial en el Royal Hotel en Peel Street, donde los invitados pudieron escuchar la primera transmisión. Había tres horarios diarios, de 7 a 9 a. M., De 12 a 2 p. M. Y de 5 a 10 p. M.

1936: Permiso concedido para aumentar la potencia de transmisión a 1000 vatios. Este fue un ejercicio costoso, por lo que los directores invitaron solicitudes de 20,000 acciones a una libra cada una de la comunidad.

1937: En febrero de 1937, 2TM había construido un nuevo transmisor en Duri. Los estudios 2TM se habían mudado a la sección de arriba de 312 Peel Street Tamworth. Fue una de las pocas estaciones del país que transmitió un horario extenso, que era de 7 a. M. Y 10 p. M. Todos los días.

1937: 13 de agosto de 1937, el locutor Ken Moginie recibe una carta de un oyente en Nueva Zelanda felicitándolo por su programa.

1938: edición del Wireless Weekly del 23 de diciembre de 1938, se habla de & # 39The Red Terror & # 39, que fue una serie de programas en 2TM para educar a los oyentes sobre la prevención de incendios forestales. Además, habla de un llamamiento hecho por la locutora, la Sra. Penny, para que la comunidad de Tamworth done al Fondo de Refugiados Chinos 2TM. La respuesta fue enorme y la estación se inundó de parcelas de ropa, zapatos y botas que finalmente fueron entregadas al comité distrital para su distribución.

1939: The Wireless Weekly con fecha del 6 de enero de 1939 informa sobre un huracán que atravesó el pueblo de Duri y, junto con los 104 puntos de lluvia torrencial, derribó parte del mástil del transmisor 2TM, a 30 pies de la parte superior. Los ingenieros pudieron erigir un mástil temporal para permitir que la programación continuara hasta que se pudieran realizar las reparaciones, permitiendo que la programación 2TM continuara.

1939: The Wireless Weekly publicó un artículo, el 10 de febrero de 1939, sobre 2TM y su nuevo programa & # 39Music of the Ballet & # 39, que se presentará todos los martes a las 8 p.m.

La misma edición escribe sobre el programa 2TM Dramatic de media hora & ldquoQoronets of England & rdquo. Un drama de media hora escuchado en 2TM todos los miércoles por la noche a las 8.15 p.m., que atrajo a un gran número de oyentes, que solicitaron que se presentara todas las noches en lugar de una vez a la semana.

1939: The Wireless Weekly del 15 de marzo de 1939 informa sobre el reinicio del popular programa 2TM & # 39Tamworth Speaks & # 39. El programa, presentado por Bill Weir, se lleva a las calles de Tamworth, dando a los oyentes la oportunidad de hablar en directo. El reinicio del programa vio a grandes multitudes reunirse en Peel Street, lo que provocó que se llamara a la policía para despejar senderos y carreteras para permitir que el tráfico continuara.

En el mismo número, cuenta cómo 2TM se convirtió en una adición importante al servicio de Ambulancia, al equipar sus autos con tecnología inalámbrica, lo que les permitió reproducir las llamadas de emergencia a la Ambulancia cuando estaba fuera de la sede. Posteriormente, el mismo servicio fue adaptado por la patrulla de la policía de Tamworth, lo que la convirtió en la primera unidad del centro del país en estar equipada con radio divisional.

1940: El 23 de noviembre de 1940, 2TM se convirtió en una de las 6 estaciones de NSW que se independizaron con la disolución de Broadcast Network. Esto permitió a la estación crear su propia programación por primera vez y construirla en torno a las solicitudes de sus oyentes.

1940 y 1941: Se formó Broadcast Amalgamated entre las estaciones 2MO en Gunnedah y 2TM en Tamworth. Se conocía comúnmente como & lsquoNew England Network & rsquo

1942: William Penney y su esposa formaron el 2TM Women & rsquos Radio Club. Su esposa en ese momento era conocida como & lsquoAunty Patsy & rsquo de las sesiones de radio de Children & rsquos. El Club organizó conciertos y organizó eventos para recaudar fondos para la CWA, el Hospital Base de Tamworth e incluso un avión para el Gobierno. El Club cesó cerca del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

1945: El 3 de junio de 1945, la presentadora de 2TM, la señorita Edith Marshall, realizó la primera transmisión de 2TM Country Music Radio con el cantante de música country, William & lsquoBuddy & rsquo Bishop como invitado. Este primer evento duró 15 minutos.

1947: 2TM Women & # 39s Radio Club se reformó y se hizo conocido como & lsquoAll Charities Club & rsquo. El Club funcionó durante otros cuatro años, aumentando 7000 libras durante ese tiempo.

1947: Se formó el 2TM Sparklers Club para los niños de las escuelas del distrito y de Tamworth. Gladys Vera Graham visitó varias escuelas de la zona para grabar teatro, música y versos que luego se transmitirán en 2TM a partir de las 5:00 pm en adelante. El libro Sparklets de poemas e historias infantiles se encuentra en la biblioteca estatal de Victoria.

1947: 2TM Women & # 39s Radio Club publica el Libro de cocina 2TM. El libro contiene recetas para los oyentes y hoy se ha convertido en un artículo de colección. Se puede ver una copia en la Biblioteca Estatal de NSW. La estación también ha adquirido una fotocopia del original.

1948: Radio 2TM compró dos grandes parcelas de tierra que formaban parte de Hyman Estate. El primero era un área de 7,7 hectáreas, a ambos lados de Hillvue Road en el área & lsquoOne Tree Hill & rsquo, y el otro eran dos lotes de 6 hectáreas entre las calles Garden y Roberts.

1948: Buddy Bishop graba las dos primeras pistas de música country australiana en Tamworth en Radio 2TM. Fueron grabadas a 78 rpm en uno de los discos de acetato de estilo antiguo que usaban las estaciones de radio en esos días para programas especiales y comerciales. Un disco de acetato es un disco de aluminio redondo con una capa suave de cera en ambos lados.

1954: La Benevolent Society comenzó a transmitir mensualmente el 9 de agosto de 1954 hasta alrededor de 1959. La Sociedad solicitó donaciones de dinero y bienes para ayudar a Apex y Lions Clubs de Tamworth.

1959: 2TM moves from 312 Peel Street Tamworth to its present location, 442-450 Goonoo Goonoo Road South Tamworth. The move included the erection of a 117 metre transmission tower on the corner of the New England Highway and Whitehouse Lane, 12 kilometres south of Tamworth.

1961: John Minson, later known as &lsquoMr Hoedown&rsquo began working at 2TM as an Announcer and Copy Writer.

1963: The ' Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music' show launched on Saturday mornings with announcer Ken McEwan. .

1965: 2TM was now broadcasting daily between 5.30am and 11.30pm and reaching listeners up to 80 kilometres from Tamworth. Announcer John Minson was presenting a popular program representing music genres including jazz, folk and country music. He eventually named his extremely popular program &lsquoThe Hoedown&rsquo and refined his playlist to solely Australian Country Music.

Due to its omni-directional transmission frequency (1290 kHz, and now 1287 kHz, 2TM was able to transmit in every direction, This, coupled with the uniqueness of not sharing its frequency with any other station in Australia, 2TM was able to be heard not only in most states of Australia, but also in several countries overseas. It was due to this amazing reach that enabled 2TM &lsquoHoedown&rsquo program to play an enormous role in what would establish Tamworth as Australia&rsquos Country Music Capital.

1966: As a way to help raise money for the Meals on Wheels charity who were looking to upgrade to their own kitchen facilities, 2TM began taking donations from listeners who were acknowledged on air. This along with donations from other Businesses and fund -raising activities, saw the organisation open its new facility later that same year.

1967: 2TM and the Modern Country Music Association (MCMA) staged a concert to raise money for Tasmanian Bushfire Relief. Also know as the Black Tuesday Bushfires.

1968 : Max Ellis, George Maxwell, Kevin Knapp, Bob Lipman, Eric Scott and John Minson were all active in the promotion of Country Music on 2TM. Between them, they decided that Tamworth should become known as &lsquoThe Country Music Capital of Australia&rsquo and started to promote the slogan. This slogan became official in 1969 with the formation of the Capital Country Music Association.

1969: 2TM arranged for builder, Warwick D Benet to construct a house that was to be a prize in an Art Union. The House was built at 10 Wongala Street, and became known as 'The House that 2TM built'.

To sell more tickets, organisers John Minson, Max Ellis and Levin Knapp organised a live Country Music show on 23rd May 1969 in the Tamworth Town Hall using &ldquoHoedown&rdquo to promote the event. Country Music star, Mr Reg Lindsay was the headline act for the event and &ldquoThe Hoedown&rdquo show was broadcast from the foyer of the Town Hall.

1969: The National Country Music Jamboree that was originally started by the MCMA was taken over by 2TM.

1970: Broadcasting times had extended and 2TM were now live between 5.00am until 1.00pm.

To celebrate Australia's Bi-centenary, a Country Music concert was arranged by 2TM, starring names such as Slim Dusty & Joy McKean, Barry Thornton "Smiling" Billy Blinkhorn, Smoky Dawson, Shirley Thoms and Buddy Bishop to name just a few.

1971: To celebrate 2TM&rsquos 36th anniversary, a Country Music concert was held on 27th February 1971. Johnny Ashcroft, who starred in the concert, was presented with three Golden long-playing records as a souvenir. This Golden record idea led to the eventual creation of the Golden Guitar Country Music Awards.

1973: A new live radio show went to air called 'Big T Jubilee' presented by Eric Scott from Hadley Studios.The show ran for 13 months and featured live performances of Country Music artists. Slim Newton performed 'Redback on the Toilet Seat' on the first show.

1973: 28th January 1973, a judging panel of eleven people, each who represented different aspects of Country Music, introduced and chose a number of Country Music awards for professional and amateur artists in Australian and New Zealand who had released records during the previous year.

These awards were presented the next evening after a talent quest and jamboree. The trophies were cast from bronze, in the shape of a Golden Guitar, sculptured by local Tamworth artist, George Henry &lsquoHarry&rsquo Frost. The bases were made from Tasmanian Blackwood supplied by Beau Chatwin and the final trophy was put together by John Minson.

The decision on a Golden Guitar was made between Max Ellis and John Minson who has both previously been presented with a plastic guitar as an award, and thought that it needed something more prestigious.

The entire event was organised by four 2TM gentlemen. Max Ellis, who was the Awards Chief Executive Officer. Bob Lipman, who was Stage Manager. Accommodation was taken care of by Del Foote and the compare for the event was Kevin Knapp.

1973: An initiative between 2TM Tamworth and 2MO Gunnedah, was the first AgQuip event, held on 25th August 1973 over four days in Gunnedah. This event enabled the agricultural industry for the first time to market and showcase their products and services in a rural region of NSW. An event of this scale was previously only accessible from major city Royal Shows. The event grew more and more popular each year to what is still to this day a major event in the district.

1973: Hoedown' became so popular, that the show was extended from 7.30pm to 11.00pn Monday to Friday.

1975: 2TM published the first annual edition of its festival Newspaper 'Capital News'.It became a monthly publication In 1981 and was later sold to Rural Press in 1995.

1976: The Country Music Roll of Renown was inaugurated on 25th January 1976. The Roll of Renown was a series of boulders that were placed on the front lawn of the 2TM studios and each year different Country Music artist was given the privilege of having a bronze plaque installed on a boulder with their name and photo. The boulders were eventually moved to the Tamworth Regional Entertainment Centre in 2000, where they are still currently on display.

1977: 29th January 1977, 2TM unveiled 'The Hands of Fame'. The first people to imprint their hands were Johnny Ashcroft, Buddy Bishop, Rick & Thel Carey, Stan Coster, Rex Dallas, Smokey Dawson, Slim Dusty, Alan Hawking, Ken Kitching, Reg Lindsay, Heather McKean, Joy McKean, Tex Morton, Slim Newton, Nev Nicholls, Suzanne Prentice, Shorty Ranger, Buddy Williams and George Xanthos.

1977: Cooking sensation, Margaret Fulton came to AgQuip to judge the 2TM competition &lsquoSearch for the Super Sandwich&rsquo

1978: 2TM created BAL Marketing.

1978: January 27 1978 saw the first 2TM Buttercup Open House concert stage in the Tamworth Town Hall. 2TM's John Minson chatted on air with country music celebrities and fans in the Town Hall, while 2TM's Bob Lipman kept things moving on stage.

1978: Tamworth Songwriters Association formed by 2TM. By 1980, the Association was able to run independently and branched away from 2TM.

1979: The inaugural &lsquoStar Maker&rsquo quest was held, an initiative of Radio 2TM. The quest enabled up and coming Australian Country Music artists the opportunity to perform in a talent quest that would provide the winner with 12 months promotion to the Country Music industry. This included the opportunity to perform at major Country Music events and the professional production of their own 2-track CD.

1980: January 1980 saw the first of the TCMF Golden Guitar Awards held in the 2TM Big Top. The tent would seat 4000 guests and was set up in Bicentennial Park.

1982: 11th October 1982, 2TM would air the first satellite broadcast of the CMA awards from Nashville to Tamworth.

1982: To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the TCMF Golden Guitar awards, 2TM released a double vinyl album called 'The Winners' on the RCA record label.

1982: Erected by 2TM, The Hawking Brothers Memorial opened on 30th January 1982 in the garden of The Settlers (now Country Capital) Motel on Goonoo Goonoo Road. It was dedicated by the Hawking Brothers Fan Club to commemorate the achievements of Alan and Russell Hawking from the band's formation in 1950

1987: John Minson 'Mr Hoedown' retires from Radio 2TM. He and his wife Anne move to Coffs Harbour in 2001 where he took up the hobby of model planes. Nick Erby replaced him on 'The Hoedown'

1989: Nick Erby started a singles chart in Capital News and broadcast a count down broadcast 2TM called 'Country Tracks'.

1991: Kevin Knapp retires from 2TM

1991: November. 2TM announces the Awards concert and presentation of individual categories will take place at different venues. This was met with outrage from the country music industry.

1992: June 1992. After lengthy negotiations, 2TM generously hands over the Awards to the new Country Music Association of Australia (CMAA) industry organisation.

1993: 2TM sold to the Super Radio Network

1993: Completion of the newly constructed 2TM studios, shared with sister station 92.9FM. The sister station began broadcasting on 1st May, 1993 with a completely different target audience and music format.

2000: 30th January 2000, 2TM Station Manager, William Andrew Morrison made the unpopular decision to cancel the very popular &lsquoHoedown&rsquo show which by now had been running from 6pm &ndash 6am every night, to instead take a talk-back Network program from 2SM in Sydney. Presenters Nick Erby, Brian Howard, and Garry Coxhead were told on this same day that they would no longer be needed at the station.

2000: September 2000. Roll of Renown re-located from the front yard of 2TM to TRECC.

2004: 2TM re-commences overnight Country Music programming along with several other Super Radio network stations. Previously kinown as 'The Hoedown', the new show is called CMR (Country Music Radio) and is host by ex 2TM announcer, Nock Erby.

2007: January 2007. The John Laws Show is heard for the firdt time on 2TM.

2008: June 2008. Opening of state of the art studio complex featuring the latest digital technology and floor to ceiling glass studios.

2010: 4th June 2010. 2TM changed its name for the day to 2JW - True Blue Radio, to pay tribute to Country Music star, John Williamson, and the anniversary of his 40 years in the music business. The station's playlist for the day showcased John's songs, along with a mixture of other Australian classic songs.

2011: Jan 2011. 2TM teams up with Jayco and Tourism Tamworth for 10 day, 120 hour outside broadcast from the steps of Ray Walsh House for the Country Music Festival.

2013: 2TM&rsquos longest serving breakfast announcer Mal McCall retires after 32 years of service with the station.

2018: Station Manager, Gavin Flanagan and Content Director, Jarrad Brooke return to 2TM after 7 years and re-instate Australian Country Music content into station programming including a one hour show every Saturday morning called 'A Country Mile'.

2018: 2TM presents the 'Buy a Bale HAY MATE' concert in Tamworth to raise money for drought stricken farmers. Guest performers included John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite, Guy Sebastian, The Veronicas, Andrew Farriss (INXS) and Adam Harvey. The event was televised by Channel 9 and raised over 2 million dollars.

2019: 2TM cover the TCMF with live programming every day of the Festival with extended hours until 10pm. The station began it's celebration of the event by way of a live broadcast on the front grounds of the station, on top of a Kennards Hire scissor lift.

2019: February 2019, 2TM launches the first 'Our Country' podcast with special guest, Troy Cassar-Daly. Designed as an instructive and educational podcast for anyone associated with the country music industry, providing advice and real life experiences from some of our greatest artists, managers, promoters, venue operators, touring and session musicians, among others.

2019: Re-introduction of the weekly 2TM Australian Country Music Chart.

2019: 17th April 2019, the first 2TM News Podcast went live. Each week, honorary announcer Tim Coates discusses all the big news stories from the last week with the 2TM News Journalist and special guests.

2019: 29th November 2019, 2TM presents 'Country 4 Our Country' Salvation Army Bushfire appeal in Tamworth. The event held at Wests, saw Country Music artists come together from all parts of Australia, donating their time to raise money.

2020: Even greater coverage of the TCMF with extended live broadcasting hours, and for the first time, live coverage on 2TM of the Golden Guitar Awards. Broadcasting live on-air as well as up-to-the minute results and photos via blog on the 2TM Facebook page and website as it happened.

2020: 22nd January 2020. 2TM proudly present, The Concert for Joy. 2TM announcers Pete Huxley and Sally-Anne Whitten emcee the sell-out concert to celebrate Country Music legend, Joy McKean and her 90th Birthday.

Some of music's biggest names took to the stage to perform some of Slim Dusty's iconic songs, including Lights on the Hill, Biggest Disappointment, Ringer from the Top End, and Walk a Country Mile.


History of O-6 SS-67 - History

The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway traces its origin to the Louisa Railroad of Louisa County, Virginia, begun in 1836, and the James River & Kanawha Canal Company begun 1785, also in Virginia. The C&O of the 1950s and 1960s at its height before the first modern merger, was the product of about 150 smaller lines that had been incorporated into the system over time.

By 1850 the Louisa Railroad had been built east to Richmond and west to Charlottesville, and in keeping with its new and larger vision, was renamed Virginia Central . The Commonwealth of Virginia, always keen to help with “internal improvements” not only owned a portion of Virginia Central stock, but incorporated and financed the Blue Ridge Railroad to accomplish the hard and expensive task of crossing the first mountain barrier to the west. Under the leadership of the great early civil engineer Claudius Crozet, the Blue Ridge Railroad built over the mountain, using four tunnels, including the 4,263-foot Blue Ridge Tunnel at the top of the mountain, then one of the longest tunnels in the world.

While the Blue Ridge Railroad attacked the mountains, Virginia Central was building westward from the west foot of the mountains. It crossed the Great Valley of Virginia, The Shenandoah, and the Shenandoah range Great North Mountain, reaching a point known as Jackson’s River Station at the foot of Alleghany Mountain in 1856. This is the site that would later be called Clifton Forge.

To finish its line across the mountainous territory of the Alleghany Plateau known in old Virginia as the “Transmountaine”, the Commonwealth again chartered a state-subsidized railroad called the Covington & Ohio . This company completed important grading work on the Alleghany grade and did considerable work on numerous tunnels over the mountain and westward. It also did a good deal of roadbed work around Charleston on the Kanawha River. Then the War Between the States intervened, and work was stopped on the westward expansion.

During the Civil War the Virginia Central was one of the Confederacy’s most important lines, carrying food from the Shenandoah region to Richmond, and ferrying troops and supplies back and forth as the campaigns frequently surrounded its tracks. On more than one occasion it was used in actual tactical operations, transporting troops directly to the battlefield. But, it was a prime target for Federal armies, and by the end of the war had only about five miles of track still in operation, and $40 in gold in its treasury.

Following the war, Virginia Central officials realized that they would have to get capital to rebuild from outside the economically devastated South and attempted to attract British interests, without success. Finally, they succeeded in getting Collis P. Huntington of New York interested in the line. He is, of course, the same Huntington that was one of the “big Four” involved in building the Central Pacific portion of the Transcontinental Railroad, which was at this time just reaching completion. Huntington had a vision of a true transcontinental that would go from sea to sea under one operating management, and decided that the Virginia Central might be the eastern link to this system.

Huntington supplied the Virginians with the money needed to complete the line to the Ohio River, through what was now the new state of West Virginia. The old Covington & Ohio’s properties were conveyed to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in keeping with its new mission of linking the Tidewater coast of Virginia with the “Western Waters” of the Ohio River. This was the old dream of the “Great Connection” which had been current in Virginia since Colonial times.

On July 1, 1867 the C&O was completed nine miles from Jackson’s River Station to the town of Covington, seat of Alleghany County, Virginia. By 1869, it had crossed Alleghany Mountain, using much of the tunneling and roadway work done by the Covington & Ohio before the war, and was running to the great mineral springs resort at White Sulphur Springs, now in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Here stagecoach connections were made for Charleston and the navigation on the Kanawha River and thus water transportation on the whole Ohio/Mississippi system.

During 1869-1873 the hard work of building through West Virginia was done with large crews working from the new city of Huntington on the Ohio River and White Sulphur much as the UP and CP had done in the transcontinental work, and the line was joined at Hawks Nest, WV on January 28, 1873.

Collis Huntington intended to connect the C&O with his Western and Mid-Western holdings, but had much other railroad construction to finance and he stopped the line at the Ohio River. Over the next few years he did little to improve its rough construction or develop traffic. The only connection to the West was by packet boats operating on the Ohio River. Because the great mineral resources of the region hadn’t been fully realized yet, the C&O suffered through the bad times brought on by the financial panic Depression of 1873, and went into receivership in 1878. When reorganized it was renamed The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company .

During the ten years 1878-1888 C&O’s coal resources began to be developed and shipped eastward. In 1881 the Peninsula Subdivision was completed from Richmond to the new city of Newport News located on Hampton Roads, the East’s largest ice-free port. Transportation of coal to Newport News where it was loaded on coastwise shipping and transported to the Northeast became a staple of the C&O’s business at this time.

In 1888 Huntington lost control of the C&O. A reorganization without foreclosure resulted in his losing his majority interest to the Morgan and Vanderbilt interests, which installed Melville E. Ingalls as President. Ingalls was, at the time, President of the Vanderbilt’s Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati & Louisville, The “Big Four System”, and held both presidencies concurrently for the next decade. Ingalls installed George W. Stevens as general manager and effective head of the C&O.

In 1889 the Richmond & Alleghany Railroad, which had been built along the tow-path of the defunct James River & Kanawha Canal, was merged into the C&O, giving it a down grade “water level” line from Clifton Forge to Richmond, avoiding the heavy grades of North Mountain and the Blue Ridge on the original Virginia Central route. This “James River Line” remains the principal artery of coal transportation to the present day.

Ingalls and Stevens completely rebuilt the C&O to “modern” standards with ballasted roadbed, enlarged and lined tunnels, steel bridges, and heavier steel rails, as well as new, larger cars and locomotives.

In 1888 the C&O built the Cincinnati Division from Huntington down the South bank of the Ohio River and across the river at Cincinnati, connecting with the “Big Four” and other Midwestern Railroads.

From 1900 to 1920 most of the C&O’s line tapping the rich bituminous coal fields of southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky were built, and the C&O as it was known throughout the rest of the 20th Century was essentially in place.

In 1910 C&O merged the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad into its system. This line had been built diagonally across the state of Indiana from Cincinnati to Hammond in the preceding decade. This gave the C&O a direct line from Cincinnati to the great railroad hub of Chicago.

Also in 1910 C&O interests bought control of the Kanawha & Michigan and Hocking valley lines in Ohio, with a view to connecting with the Great Lakes through Columbus. Eventually Anti-trust laws forced C&O to abandon its K&M interests, but it was allowed to retain the Hocking valley, which operated about 350 miles in Ohio, including a direct line from Columbus to the port of Toledo, and numerous branches southeast of Columbus in the Hocking Coal Fields. But there was no direct connection with the C&O’s mainline, now hauling previously undreamed-of quantities of coal. To get its coal up to Toledo and into Great Lakes shipping, C&O contracted with its rival Norfolk & Western to haul trains from Kenova, WV to Columbus. N&W, however, limited this business and the arrangement was never satisfactory.

C&O gained access to the Hocking Valley by building a new line directly from a point a few miles from its huge and growing terminal at Russell, KY to Columbus between 1917 and 1926. It crossed the Ohio River at Limeville, KY. to Sciotoville, Ohio, on the great Limeville or Sciotoville bridge which remains today the mightiest bridge every built from point of view of its load capacity. Truly a monument to engineering, but seldom commented on outside engineering circles because of its relatively remote location.

With the connection at Columbus complete, C&O soon was sending more of its high quality metallurgical and steam coal west than East, and in 1930 it merged the Hocking Valley into its system.

The next great change for C&O came in 1923 when the great Cleveland financiers, the brother 0. P. and M. J. Van Sweringen, bought controlling interest in the line as part of their expansion of the Nickel Plate Road NKP system. Eventually they controlled the NKP, C&O, Pere Marquette Railway in Michigan and Ontario, and Erie Railroads. They managed to control this huge system by a maze of holding companies and interlocking directorships. This house of cards tumbled when the Great Depression began and the Van Sweringen companies collapsed. But the C&O was a strong line and despite the fact that in the early 1930s over 50% of American railroads went into receivership, it not only avoided bankruptcy, but took the occasion of cheap labor and materials to again completely rebuild itself.

During the early 1930s when it seemed the whole country was retrenching, C&O was boring new tunnels, adding double track, rebuilding bridges, upgrading the weight of its rail, and rebuilding its roadbed, all with money from its principal commodity of haulage: Coal. Even in the hard years of the Depression coal was something that had to be used everywhere, and C&O was sitting astride the best bituminous seams in the country.

Because of this great upgrading and building program, C&O was in prime condition to carry the monumental loads needed during World War II. During the War it transported men and materiel in unimagined quantities as the United States used the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation as a principal departure point for the European Theater. The invasion of North Africa was loaded here. Of course coal was needed in ever increasing quantities by war industries, and C&O was ready with a powerful, well organized, well maintained railway powered by the largest and most modern locomotives.

By the end of the war C&O was poised to help America during its great growth during the decades following, and at mid-century was truly a line of national importance. It became more so, at least in the public’s eye through Robert R. Young, its mercurial Chairman.

Young got control of the C&O through the remnants of the Van Sweringen companies in 1942, and for the next decade he became “the gadfly of the rails,” as he challenged old methods of financing and operating railroads, and inaugurated many forward looking advances in technology that have ramifications to the present. He changed the C&O’s herald or logo to “C&O for Progress” to embody his ideas that C&O would lead the industry to a new day. He installed a well-staffed research and development department that came up with ideas for passenger service that are thought to be futuristic even now, and for freight service that would challenge the growth of trucking. Young eventually gave up his C&O position to become Chairman of the New York Central before his untimely death in 1958.

During the Young era and following, C&O was headed by Walter J. Tuohy, under whose control the “For Progress” theme continued, though in a more muted way after the departure of Young. During this time C&O installed the first large computer system in railroading, developed larger and better freight cars of all types, switched reluctantly from steam to diesel motive power, and diversified its traffic, which had already occurred in 1947 when it merged into the system the old Pere Marquette Railway of Michigan and Ontario which had been controlled since Van Sweringen days. The PM’s huge automotive industry traffic, taking raw materials in and finished vehicles out, gave C&O some protection from the swings in the coal trade, putting merchandise traffic at 50% of the company’s haulage.

C&O continued to be one of the most profitable and financially sound railways in America, and in 1963 started the modern merger era by “affiliating” with the ancient modern of railroads, the hoary Baltimore & Ohio. Avoiding a mistake that would become endemic to later mergers among other lines, a gradual amalgamation of the two lines’ services, personnel, motive power and rolling stock, and facilities built a new and stronger system, which was ready for a new name in 1972. Under the leadership of the visionary Hays T. Watkins, the C&O, B&O and Western Maryland became Chessie System, taking on the name officially that had been used colloquially for so long for the C&O, after the mascot kitten used in ads since 1934.

Under Watkins’ careful and visionary leadership Chessie System then merged with Seaboard System, itself a combination of great railroads of the Southeast including Seaboard Air Line Railway, Atlantic Coast Line, Louisville & Nashville, Clinchfield, and others, to form a new mega-railroad: CSX.

Today, CSX, after taking on 43% of Conrail, is one of four major railroad systems left in the country. It is still an innovative leader, true to its roots in Robert Young and “For Progress,” the Van Sweringens and their quest for efficiency and standardization, to George Stevens and his dedication to operating efficiency and safety awareness, back to Collis Huntington and his dreams of a transportation empire, and even back to those long forgotten Virginians who started it all to carry their farm produce to market in the 1830’s in a different world, the world before the Railroad.


O level CH (SS and History) students, what will you be studying?

¡Oye! So, History and SS are in 14 and 18 days respectively and I guess it's a tad too late to do much right now, and I guess most of us are resorting to spotting topics (in my school at least).

For history, I have already studied Stalin, Hitler and WWII. I plan to leave out Korean War and End of Cold War as I probably won't have time to finish memorizing them. For SS, I have finished theme 2 (Governance and Healthcare) and theme 3 (SL, NI and Bonding Singapore) and I plan to study either Venice or Globalization, leaving out Deterrence and Diplomacy.

How about you guys? What will you be doing for humanities? Oh, and if you have predictions for what topics will be tested for SEQ, please share them.

I scored a 58 for prelims for Combined Humanities (35/50 for History and 23/50 for SS). That's quite bad I guess but then again, only 3 out of 38 people passed in my class so ya. I'm from Tanjong Katong Secondary just in case you need that info. Thanks!


Contenido

Construction and commissioning Edit

Her keel was laid down on 6 December 1916 by Fore River Shipbuilding Company in Quincy, Massachusetts. She was launched on 25 November 1917 sponsored by Mrs. Carroll Q. Wright (daughter of Army Major John Leslie Shepard and wife of the boat's prospective commanding officer). O-6 was commissioned at Boston, Massachusetts, on 12 June 1918 with Lieutenant Carroll Quinn Wright, Jr. (son of US Navy Chaplain, Carroll Q. Wright), in command.

World War I Edit

During the final months of World War I, O-6 operated out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on coastal patrol against U-boats, cruising from Cape Cod to Key West, Florida.

A British merchantman fired six shots at O-6 on 14 July 1918. Excerpts from the autobiography of Captain (then Lieutenant) Wright relate that the first two shells landed on either side of the sub. Taking evasive action and emergency diving resulted in several shells hitting the sub and damaging the conning tower, the 3-inch gun, and the bridge shield. Otherwise, had the captain not taken evasive action, the submarine would have been sunk. For his actions which saved the boat from sinking, Lieutenant Wright was awarded the British Distinguished Service Cross. He was promoted to Lieutenant Commander on 15 August.

On 2 November 1918 the O-6 departed Newport in a 20-submarine contingent bound for service in European waters, however, the Armistice with Germany had been signed before the vessels reached the Azores, and they returned to the United States.

Interwar period Edit

After the war, O-6 prolonged her Naval career by operating as a training ship out of New London, Connecticut. Reclassified to a second line submarine on 25 July 1924 while stationed at Coco Solo in the Panama Canal Zone, she reverted to first line class on 6 June 1928 and continued at New London until February 1929, when she steamed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to decommission there on 9 June 1931.

World War II Edit

Submarines had proved to be a major weapon in World War I. As U.S. involvement in World War II approached, old submarines were taken out of mothballs and prepared to renew training activities. O-6 recommissioned at Philadelphia on 4 February 1941 and then returned to New London to train students at the Submarine School. On 19 June 1941, O-6 made a trial run to Portsmouth, New Hampshire the next day O-9 went down 15 nautical miles off Portsmouth. O-6 joined O-10, Triton, and other vessels in the search for the lost submarine, but to no avail.

Fate Edit

Remaining in the Portsmouth area, O-6 decommissioned there on 11 September 1945, was struck from the Naval Vessel Register the same day, and was sold to John J. Duane Company of Quincy on 4 September 1946. The boat was subsequently scrapped in December 1946.


Ver el vídeo: Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world 1967