¿Quiénes eran los Tocadores de los ciervos?

¿Quiénes eran los Tocadores de los ciervos?

Hace unos 20 años leí un artículo en un periódico (no recuerdo cuál) sobre una tribu de nativos (creo que eran norteamericanos) que tenían una tradición de tocando ciervos vivos. Se desnudarían hasta ponerse un taparrabos, sofocarían sus cuerpos con cenizas de un fuego para enmascarar su olor, se pegarían hierba y ramitas en el pelo y luego caminarían muy silenciosa y lentamente (~ 80 segundos por paso) hasta llegar a los ciervos. La prueba consistía en ver si podían acercarse al ciervo sin que éste se diera cuenta o sin registrar que era un ser vivo, y arrancarle un pelo de la cola como prueba de su logro. Algunas técnicas utilizadas fueron tratar de actuar como un arbusto, meciéndose con la brisa, algunos hombres se despeinaron extendiendo sus brazos como ramas dejando que sus dedos peinaran el pelaje del ciervo mientras pasaba ignorante de su presencia, arrancando rápidamente una cola. cabello en el último segundo.

Estoy tratando de redescubrir esta tribu de personas, pero hasta ahora no he tenido suerte en buscarlas. ¿Alguien sabe quiénes eran?


"El hombre que toca a los ciervos", por Bill Heavey, Field and Stream, octubre de 2000, p. 44.

El artículo es una entrevista del autor naturalista Tom Brown, Jr., quien afirma que un explorador Lipan Apache le enseñó cuando era niño.


La historia del venado de cola blanca

Los científicos creen que alguna vez los ciervos habitaron regiones muy frías alrededor del Círculo Polar Ártico. No fue hasta hace unos 4 millones de años que el primer ciervo migró a lo que ahora llamamos Estados Unidos.

Los ciervos eran una parte integral de la vida de los nativos americanos. La carne y la médula ósea constituían una gran parte de su dieta. Los indios usaban pieles para vestirse, alfombras, mantas, redes de pesca y similares. Fabricaron puntas de flecha, palos, anzuelos y herramientas con huesos.

Los primeros pobladores de América se alimentaron de varios animales, como pavos y urogallos. Luego descubrieron la gran cola blanca de Virginia. Los nativos americanos enseñaron a los colonos cómo utilizar un ciervo de manera eficiente, utilizando cada trozo de carne, piel y hueso.

Con el tiempo, las poblaciones de ciervos han sufrido fluctuaciones. El primer gran declive estuvo vinculado al comercio de pieles. Los nativos americanos mataban aproximadamente 5 millones de ciervos por año para abastecer el comercio. A principios del siglo XIX, debido a la disminución de las ventas de pieles y la expansión natural de los ciervos a nuevos hábitats, las poblaciones volvieron a aumentar. Sin embargo, este aumento no duró mucho.

La caza en el mercado desenfrenada a fines del siglo XIX redujo la población de cola blanca a un mínimo histórico de 500,000, y las hembras y los machos desaparecieron por completo en algunas áreas. En 1900, se promulgó la Ley Lacy, la primera ley federal sobre vida silvestre. Lacy prohibió el tráfico interestatal de venado y otras especies de caza silvestre, y la explotación de cola blanca comenzó a disminuir. En 1908, 41 estados establecieron departamentos de conservación para promover la protección de los ciervos.

La Gran Depresión fue dura para los estadounidenses. Pero era el momento del auge de las colas blancas en el este, el sur y el medio oeste. A medida que la gente acudía en masa desde el campo para ganarse la vida en las ciudades, las granjas abandonadas y los lugares de residencia brotaban malas hierbas, arbustos y árboles jóvenes. Los biólogos y deportistas comenzaron a darse cuenta de que el hábitat cambiante de Estados Unidos era bueno para un número creciente de ciervos. Una vez considerados habitantes de bosques grandes y contiguos, los coliblancos serían conocidos para siempre como animales & # 8220edge & # 8221.

A finales de la década de 1950, un biólogo llamado Crockford desarrolló un sistema de pistola de dardos para capturar ciervos. Esa tecnología, junto con inventos futuros como la red de cañones, desempeñó un papel clave en la repoblación exitosa de cola blanca en los Estados Unidos.

En 1970, las poblaciones de cola blanca crecían de manera constante en los 48 estados más bajos. Durante años, los cazadores habían considerado un crimen disparar a una cierva. Pero un estudio histórico en 1974 cambió eso. El científico M.L. Walls descubrió que el manejo a largo plazo de las manadas de ciervos en auge debería incluir la cosecha de machos y hembras. Los estados comenzaron gradualmente a implementar temporadas de caza & # 8220doe days & # 8221 y & # 8220antlerless & # 8217.

Las poblaciones de cola blanca continuaron aumentando durante los años 80 y & # 821790. El manejo sólido de los ciervos fue una de las razones. Y luego estaba la expansión suburbana. En muchas regiones, cada vez más personas construyeron viviendas unifamiliares en áreas que alguna vez fueron rurales, creando un tablero de ajedrez de & # 8220farmettes & # 8221 y pequeñas propiedades. Los desarrolladores tallaron subdivisiones, campos de golf y centros comerciales en granjas y bosques. Irónicamente, esto creó un hábitat ideal para tiras y bolsillos para la cola blanca adaptable, que tiene una extraña habilidad para vivir junto al hombre. Esta tendencia continúa en el nuevo milenio y no está exenta de desventajas. Un número creciente de ciervos arrasa arbustos, árboles frutales y cultivos, causando daños por cientos de millones de dólares anualmente en el Medio Oeste, Noreste y Sudeste. Las colisiones entre ciervos y automóviles están aumentando en muchos estados.

Hoy en día, el cola blanca, Odocoileus virginianus, es el ciervo más extendido del mundo. Los científicos reconocen 30 subespecies de cola blanca en América del Norte y Central, y otras ocho en América del Sur. La población de cola blanca de América del Norte se estima en 20-25 millones de animales. La cola blanca es, con mucho, el juego más popular en los EE. UU., Perseguido por unos 11 millones de cazadores cada otoño.


La historia de John Deere: desde los primeros arados hasta los tractores agrícolas

El tractor John Deere es uno de los iconos más perdurables de la vida agrícola estadounidense. La empresa de fabricación de tractores John Deere se fundó en 1837 y la historia de su fundación está estrechamente entrelazada con el desarrollo del arado de acero. El deseo de Deere de mejorar un diseño de arado imperfecto dio como resultado la fundación de lo que se convirtió en la empresa de tractores líder en el mundo durante 177 años, conocida hoy como Deere Company.

La historia del fundador de la empresa se remonta a 1804 cuando John Deere nació en Rutland, Vermont. Comenzó a trabajar como aprendiz de herrero a la edad de 17 años y estableció su propio negocio de herrería en cuatro años. El trabajo de Deere # 8217 consistió en hacer horcas, herraduras y otros implementos necesarios para la agricultura. La naturaleza del oficio que eligió, combinada con el clima económico local, hizo necesario que Deere se mudara de ciudad en ciudad. A los 33 años decidió mudarse hacia el oeste, y se detuvo en Grand Detour, Illinois.

Gran parte del trabajo de John Deere # 8217 implicó la reparación repetida de arados de hierro fundido y de madera, lo que le demostró que estos diseños de arados no eran lo suficientemente fuertes para atravesar el césped de la pradera y el suelo pesado de Illinois. Haciendo cambios de diseño por su cuenta, Deere construyó un arado liviano de acero pulido con una hoja de aserradero de acero rota. El arado que creó cortó el duro césped del medio oeste de manera eficiente y se limpió a sí mismo, lo que significa que podría limpiarse solo del césped cortado, por lo que no tendría que ser limpiado constantemente mientras trabajaba. En 1838, construyó y vendió tres de sus arados a los agricultores locales, 10 al año siguiente y 40 al año siguiente. Deere se asoció con Leonard Andrus y en 1846 pudieron fabricar colectivamente cerca de 1.000 arados.

En 1847, Deere sentía que los negocios mejorarían en Moline, Illinois, ubicada en el río Mississippi. Sería más fácil y menos costoso transportar sus mercancías por el río. Vendió su parte de la herrería a su socio y se mudó a Moline. En 1850, Deere fabricaba 1600 arados al año, así como herramientas adicionales para acompañar a los arados de acero. El arado de acero John Deere se consideraba una herramienta agrícola de última generación en ese momento. El material utilizado y la forma del arado fueron revolucionarios y evolucionaron continuamente a medida que Deere escuchaba los comentarios de sus clientes y ajustaba el diseño en consecuencia.

En 1875, John Deere presentó su primer arado con operador a bordo. Era el arado Gilpin sulky de dos ruedas, propulsado por caballos. En 1888 se producían arados impulsados ​​por vapor y en 1892 otro inventor, John Froelich de Iowa, vendió los dos primeros tractores a gasolina. Estos y muchos otros diseños tempranos de tractores a gasolina tuvieron su comienzo en Iowa, pero fue la Compañía John Deere en Illinois la que salió del grupo para convertirse en el líder en equipos agrícolas.

En 1971, se introdujo el eslogan & # 8220Nothing Runs Like a Deere & # 8221 para promocionar su nueva línea de motos de nieve. En 1983 se terminó la línea de motos de nieve, pero el lema se mantuvo.

Uno de los primeros arados de acero de Deere # 8217 se encuentra ahora en la Institución Smithsonian.


El regreso del venado de cola blanca

Existe la creencia común de que la conservación de la vida silvestre ha sido una propuesta perdida. La destrucción de las manadas de búfalos, el destino de la paloma migratoria, son de conocimiento común. En nuestro propio tiempo vemos a la grulla chillona y al cóndor de California al borde de la extinción. Pero la conservación de la vida silvestre no ha estado libre de éxitos. Y ninguno ha sido más espectacular que la restauración del venado de cola blanca de Virginia a los bosques del este y del medio oeste.

Originalmente, una treintena de variedades (subespecies) del venado cola blanca ocuparon América del Norte. La mayoría habitaba las franjas del gran bosque de frondosas del este que se extendía desde la costa atlántica hasta el valle del Mississippi. Al oeste de los bosques predominaban el venado bura y el alce, aunque algunos coliblancos vagaban por los matorrales de las tierras bajas alrededor de los ríos de las Grandes Llanuras. La pequeña cola blanca de Sonora habitaba las estribaciones alrededor del gran desierto del suroeste, y se produjeron focos de abundancia local de otras subespecies en el norte de las Montañas Rocosas y el noroeste del Pacífico. Al norte de una línea que va aproximadamente de Minneapolis a Portland, Maine, densos bosques de abetos, abetos y pinos proporcionaban poca comida para los ciervos.

La cola blanca alcanzó la mayor abundancia en las islas y alrededor de las marismas de las costas del Atlántico y del Golfo y en los matorrales y pastizales que separaban las maderas duras orientales y las Grandes Llanuras. Nunca penetró profundamente la madera virgen de las tierras altas, donde las copas y ramas entrelazadas de árboles gigantes daban sombra a la tierra, frenando el desarrollo de la exuberante necesidad de alimento de los ciervos de la maleza. Pero incluso en las tierras altas, los descansos ocasionales en el dosel del bosque permitieron el crecimiento de alimentos para ciervos y la presencia de ciervos. Las orillas de los lagos y las riberas de los ríos sostenían matorrales de maleza. Los castores, comunes en todos los arroyos del este, ayudaron a los ciervos con sus actividades de corte e inundación. Los huracanes y tornados cortaron franjas que pronto se revistieron con plántulas, arbustos y enredaderas que crecían entre enredadas ganancias inesperadas.

La mayoría de los indios orientales llevaban una existencia seminómada, avanzando cada pocos años bajo la presión del ataque enemigo o debido a los campos de cultivo agotados. Todas las tribus de los bosques usaban el fuego de manera extensiva: para despejar parcelas de jardín y terrenos, para minimizar los ataques sorpresa, para impulsar la caza o para mejorar la caza. Las tierras quemadas rodearon la mayoría de las aldeas indias por millas, y cualquier tierra abandonada o no cultivada intensamente pronto fue repoblada con alimento y cobertura ideal para ciervos. De hecho, el indio probablemente ayudó a crear muchos más ciervos de los que mató.

Esta fue la mayor parte de la historia del ciervo oriental antes del siglo XVII. Entonces nadie sabe cuántos había. Pero el patrón de exploración y asentamiento blanco probablemente dio una impresión engañosa de abundancia. La colonización comenzó en las tierras bajas costeras, como en Jamestown, o en las tierras indias abandonadas, como en Plymouth, y la exploración del interior generalmente siguió a los ríos, a través de algunos de los mejores hábitats de ciervos del este.

La agricultura colonial fue una extensión de los métodos indios en el sentido de que el hombre blanco también usaba el fuego para limpiar la tierra. Pero la agricultura colonial era mucho más expansiva y rara vez el hombre blanco permitía que la tierra se convirtiera en bosque. Las tierras despejadas que no se utilizaron inmediatamente para nuevos asentamientos se quemaron repetidamente para mantener los pastizales. Un número cada vez mayor de ganado, ovejas, caballos, cabras y cerdos se crió principalmente en el campo abierto y compitió con los ciervos dondequiera que se desarrollara una distribución adecuada. No mucho después de la Revolución, la mayoría de los bosques vírgenes al este de los Apalaches habían sido talados y las tierras quemadas, en muchos casos, no una sino decenas de veces.

Aún así, a pesar de tal destrucción de su hábitat, los ciervos persistieron. Había tierras entre las ciudades muy espaciadas donde la quema de luz y la tala mejoraban su alcance. Había pantanos, como el Dismal Swamp de Virginia, que desafiaban la destrucción por el fuego y el drenaje. Había barrancos rocosos y montañas demasiado escarpadas para cultivar o pastar. Todos estos ciervos albergaron. Pero también proporcionaron refugios para el puma y el lobo de madera, enemigos naturales tradicionales de la cola blanca. Y pronto se convirtieron en los lugares predilectos de ese depredador aún más letal: el cazador de carne y mercado.

El venado y la piel de ante se convirtieron en elementos básicos de la economía colonial con los primeros desembarcos en St. Augustine, Jamestown y Plymouth. Una vez que el indio se enteró de que una anca de venado valía una yarda de percal o un hacha comercial, atrapó, atrapó y disparó ciervos dondequiera que los encontrara. En 1630, muchas tribus costeras tenían acceso a armas de fuego europeas, y un cazador indio con un arma podía matar cinco o seis ciervos en un día.

Los ciervos disminuyeron rápidamente a lo largo de la costa atlántica a lo largo del siglo XVII. El 4 de febrero de 1646, la ciudad de Portsmouth, Rhode Island, ordenó una temporada de veda para la caza de ciervos "desde el primero de mayo hasta el primero de noviembre y si alguien dispara un ciervo dentro de ese tiempo perderá cinco libras ..." La ordenanza estableció un patrón para las leyes adoptadas por la mayoría de las colonias en 1720.

El preámbulo de la ley de Connecticut reflejaba la preocupación oficial por el futuro de los ciervos: la matanza de ciervos en épocas del año fuera de temporada se ha encontrado en gran medida en el prediudio de la Colonie, ya que un gran número de ellos ha sido cazado y destruido en nevadas profundas. cuando son muy pobres y grandes con crías, la carne y las pieles de muy poco valor, y el crecimiento muy obstaculizado.

Y en 1705, la Asamblea General en Newport, Rhode Island, señaló que se ha informado que se han destruido grandes cantidades de ciervos en esta colonia fuera de temporada ... y puede resultar mucho para el daño de esta colonia para el futuro, y ... todo el país, si no se evita.

Hubo convicciones dispersas, pero ninguna de estas leyes coloniales se hizo cumplir de manera efectiva y, a mediados del siglo XVIII, quedaban pocos ciervos que proteger cerca de las comunidades más grandes. Los granjeros de la frontera todavía vivían de la tierra y tomaban su venado cuando lo querían. A lo largo de los bordes del desierto en retirada, los cazadores de mercado indios y blancos todavía peinaban los matorrales en busca de caza en todas las estaciones, lejos del alcance del "arrecife de ciervos" más cercano, el oficial designado para rastrear a los cazadores furtivos.

Después de la Revolución, a lo largo de los valles de Ohio, Wabash, Cumberland y Mississippi, y en las costas del sur de los Grandes Lagos, la destrucción del desierto continuó en una escala mayor. Y para entonces, los cazadores del mercado, que todavía operaban en la furgoneta de la civilización, habían llegado a las franjas de la pradera, la parte más productiva de la gama original de cola blanca. Una red cada vez más extendida de canales, caminos y rieles los mantenía cerca de los mercados del Este. En un solo día de 1818, un grupo de cazadores en el municipio de Medina, Ohio, mató a trescientos ciervos, veintiún osos negros y diecisiete lobos. (En promedio, esto significaba unos doce ciervos por milla cuadrada). En el invierno de 1859, los cazadores de carne mataron al último ciervo original de Iowa incubándolo en la nieve profunda. Matanzas similares ocurrieron regularmente en todo el Medio Oeste siempre que se pudieran encontrar ciervos en cantidades lo suficientemente grandes como para justificar el esfuerzo.

Con la apertura de Occidente, el centro de la actividad de búsqueda de mercados se trasladó a las Grandes Llanuras y las Montañas Rocosas. Allí, la mayor parte de la carga fue soportada por el bisonte, el berrendo, el alce, el venado bura y el borrego cimarrón. Pero las colas blancas en la cordillera vulnerable a lo largo de las tierras bajas de la pradera terminaban en las ollas de cocción de carromatos, patrullas de caballería y tripulaciones de barcos fluviales.

En Nueva Inglaterra y los estados que bordean los Grandes Lagos, el desmonte y la caza de carne habían eliminado a la mayoría de los ciervos dentro de su área de distribución original. Pero la tala de coníferas del norte había creado un área de distribución nueva y mejor en el norte. En 1870, los ciervos se habían vuelto comunes en los condados del norte de Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire y Maine, donde cincuenta años antes había pocos o ninguno. Para los ciervos, sin embargo, cortar las coníferas fue una bendición mixta. Cada uno de los campamentos madereros empleó cazadores para proporcionar carne fresca a los leñadores. Y los cazadores del mercado, que ya habían exterminado a los ciervos más al sur, acudieron en masa a la cordillera recién desarrollada.

Utilizando perros, pistolas, trampas de acero y lazos de alambre, un cazador experto podría promediar diez ciervos al día. En diciembre de 1872, Litchfield, Minnesota, envió seis toneladas de venado aderezado a los mercados de Boston. En 1880, las oficinas de transporte de Michigan solo manejaban más de cien mil ciervos con destino a Chicago y el Este.

Esta matanza directa fue bastante mala, pero los incendios que siguieron a la tala en los pinares del norte alrededor de los Grandes Lagos fueron peores. A raíz de la tala de madera, la tala seca y llena de brea (copas de árboles y ramas desechadas) cubrió cientos de miles de acres, esperando solo una chispa para encenderla. Una de las primeras chispas golpeó los tocones contra el viento de Peshtigo, Wisconsin, el 8 de octubre de 1871. Antes de que el fuego se extinguiera, devastó más de 1.280.000 acres y apagó las vidas de unas mil doscientas personas (ver “El fuego hace el viento: El viento hace fuego ”, en AMERICAN HERITAGE, agosto de 1956). Los incendios arrasaron el país del norte repetidamente hasta el cambio de siglo, matando a casi todos los seres vivos en su camino, incluidos los ciervos, y convirtiendo millones de acres en tierras baldías donde ningún ciervo podría sobrevivir.

En 1880, los científicos y algunos conservacionistas pioneros comenzaron a expresar su preocupación por el futuro del venado cola blanca como especie. Diez años después, la población de ciervos en América del Norte tocó fondo. Los Apalaches y la mayor parte del país al oeste de las Montañas Rocosas estaban prácticamente sin ciervos. Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia Occidental, Nueva Jersey, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri y Nebraska contaron sus rebaños de cola blanca en casi cero. El "último ciervo" en Indiana fue fusilado cerca de Red Cloud en 1893. El sur de Maine y el sur de New Hampshire no tenían ninguno.

Solo las partes más salvajes de las Adirondacks, las montañas de Arkansas, los remotos pantanos de la costa sur y la costa del Golfo dieron refugio a los ciervos. T. S. Palmer del Servicio de Investigación Biológica de los Estados Unidos (antecedente del Servicio de Pesca y Vida Silvestre de los Estados Unidos) estimó la población salvaje de ciervos de cola blanca de los Estados Unidos y Canadá en 1890 en alrededor de trescientos mil. Su agencia dedicó un esfuerzo considerable a alentar a las personas a criar ciervos en cautiverio, ya que el futuro de la cola blanca parecía depender de los que se mantenían en parques de ciervos cercados.

Pero incluso mientras continuaba el declive, las semillas de la restauración habían comenzado a brotar. En el norte de Nueva Inglaterra y las provincias marítimas, la tala estaba convirtiendo los bosques de coníferas originales en bosques jóvenes mixtos de madera dura y caducifolios ideales para los ciervos. Los suelos rocosos y un clima inhóspito desalentaron cualquier invasión masiva de la agricultura. En 1890, los ciervos se habían extendido por todo el norte de Maine y New Hampshire y profundamente en New Brunswick y Quebec, muy al norte de su área de distribución original. En esta región, el lobo, el único depredador importante de ciervos del norte, estaba al borde de la extinción.

Al este de los Apalaches, la era industrial había cambiado drásticamente los patrones de uso de la tierra. Miles de agricultores marginales, incapaces de competir con la floreciente agricultura de Occidente, habían abandonado sus gastadas granjas, habían tomado trabajos en fábricas en la ciudad o se habían ido al oeste. En la región sur del Piamonte, el gorgojo del algodón, el fin de la esclavitud y la competencia con los mercados extranjeros habían obligado al abandono de miles de campos de algodón. La tierra desierta pronto fue invadida por pinos de rápido crecimiento. Para 1885 había millones de acres de bosques de pinos maduros en el este de los Estados Unidos. El pino solo es un alimento pobre para los ciervos, y estos nuevos bosques sostenían a pocos ciervos, pero la maduración de los pinos trajo un nuevo auge maderero al este que estaba en pleno apogeo en 1890. Y cuando se cortaron los pinos, fueron reemplazados por los matorrales. , bosque mixto de frondosas y coníferas que hace que el área de distribución de los ciervos sea ideal.

Coincidiendo con el regreso de este hábitat de ciervos en gran parte sin ciervos, fue el desarrollo del movimiento conservacionista moderno. Por primera vez, más de unas pocas personas comenzaron a reconocer valores en la vida silvestre distintos de los que se pueden medir en la carne, los cueros y las plumas. En gran parte, este concepto se originó, de forma algo incongruente, con los cazadores deportivos de las ciudades orientales. Hasta aproximadamente 1830, la búsqueda del juego por deporte había sido principalmente un pasatiempo de los ricos. Pero la era posterior a la Guerra Civil había producido una nueva clase media con dinero, ocio y, a menudo, un deseo de escapar temporalmente de la vida urbana. Espléndidos campamentos turísticos y hoteles florecieron a orillas de lagos y ríos silvestres. La mayoría de estos centros turísticos ofrecían, entre otras diversiones al aire libre, una excelente caza de ciervos.

A medida que se extendía el interés por la caza recreativa, los conservacionistas pioneros buscaron formas de aumentar el suministro limitado de ciervos. Las leyes de caza habían cambiado poco desde la época colonial. Tan recientemente como en 1870, las temporadas de caza de ciervos duraban de tres a siete meses, los límites de las bolsas eran inexistentes y el uso de perros, bengalas para la caza nocturna y lamer sal se aceptaban como prácticas deportivas.

Gradualmente, un estado tras otro endureció sus leyes de juego. En 1873, Maine adoptó el primer límite de bolsa para ciervos: tres por cada cazador en una temporada. Michigan y Minnesota impusieron límites de cinco ciervos en 1895, y Wisconsin un límite de dos ciervos en 1897. Se recortaron semanas e incluso meses en las temporadas de caza abiertas, y la mayoría de los estados prohibieron la caza de ciervos por completo en los condados donde los ciervos escaseaban en 18g8 Massachusetts cerró todo el estado a la caza de ciervos por un período de cinco años. Para el cambio de siglo, todos los estados al norte de Virginia y Arkansas habían prohibido los disparos nocturnos y el uso de perros para la caza de ciervos. Además, en ese momento casi todos los estados tenían una agencia oficial encargada de la protección de los wildlile.

Muchas de estas reformas estaban dirigidas directamente al cazador de mercados, cuya importancia para la economía se encontraba en un fuerte declive. La mayoría fueron iniciados y combatidos por deportistas que habían organizado asociaciones protectoras de peces y caza políticamente potentes. El cazador de mercado finalmente se vio obligado a cerrar el negocio por una ley federal (la Ley Lacey de 1900) que prohibió el envío interestatal de animales de caza muertos en violación de las leyes estatales.

A principios de siglo, tanto los ciervos como su hábitat estaban recibiendo una protección real por primera vez. Sus viejos enemigos naturales casi habían desaparecido. La gente estaba combatiendo los incendios forestales en lugar de prenderlos y verlos arder. Las agencias forestales federales y de pizarra estaban replantando viejas quemaduras. La cobertura volvía a la tierra.

La respuesta de los ciervos a estas condiciones casi ideales, especialmente en el noreste, fue explosiva. Desde las islas de cobertura donde habían sobrevivido precariamente durante casi un siglo, los ciervos salieron en todas direcciones. Los del norte de Nueva Inglaterra se extendieron hacia el sur hacia los condados agrícolas. El ciervo en el sureste de Massachusetts se extendió en abanico hacia los condados centrales y hacia el sur hacia Rhode Island y Connecticut. Los ciervos de Adirondack poblaban Catskills, el oeste de Vermont y los Berkshires de Massachusetts. En 1908, Ernest Thompson Selon, el naturalista más conocido de la época, calculó que la población de ciervos al este del Mississippi era de unos quinientos mil.

Esta propagación y aumento natural fue asistido por organizaciones de deportistas y las agencias estatales de juegos recientemente organizadas. En 1878, un club de deportistas en el condado de Rutland, Vermont, había comprado diecisiete ciervos cautivos (diez de ellos a los encargados de la prisión estatal de Nueva York en Dannemora) y los había liberado en bosques cerrados a la caza por el estado. En 1895, este núcleo había aumentado a varios cientos.

El éxito del experimento de Vermont inspiró a varios estados del este a adoptar un enfoque similar. En Pennsylvania tuvo un éxito casi increíble. Poco después de 1899, la Comisión de Caza de Pensilvania comenzó a comprar ciervos y liberarlos en los bosques estatales. En 1905, las primeras unidades de un extenso sistema de refugio para ciervos fueron sembradas con animales atrapados vivos en los bosques estatales. Dos años después, había suficientes colas blancas para justificar una caza limitada. En 1907, los cazadores embolsaron doscientos dólares en un estado donde no había habido ciervos salvajes menos de veinte años antes.

A mediados de la década de 1920, los ciervos parecían estar por todas partes en Pensilvania. Se podían contar manadas de cuarenta o más a lo largo de casi cualquier camino rural por la noche. Se pueden tirar docenas de cualquier lote de madera. Estaban invadiendo corrales, maizales y huertos. Los paseantes en las afueras de Harrisburg y Filadelfia se asustaban con frecuencia con el bufido de un ciervo asustado o se emocionaban al ver la bandera blanca de una cierva.

La gran burbuja de los ciervos de Pensilvania estalló poco después de 1925. Los biólogos de caza habían comenzado a notar que los animales capturados por los cazadores se estaban atrofiando. El desarrollo de la cornamenta fue tan pobre que los deportistas se quejaron de ver hasta cien ciervos en un día, pero ninguno con una cornamenta bifurcada que lo hubiera convertido en un juego legal. Luego, en el crudo invierno de 1926, el ciervo comenzó a morir. Murieron solos, por docenas, y a veces por cientos, en patios invernales cubiertos de nieve y abarrotados. Vernon Bailey, un destacado mamólogo federal, contó en unas pocas semanas más de mil ciervos muertos en cuatro municipios de un condado.

El veredicto de Bailey confirmó que ya alcanzado por la Comisión de Caza de Pensilvania, se tenía que hacer una reducción drástica en la población de ciervos si el estado quería salvar sus bosques y cualquier ciervo. Las cordilleras invernales habían sido despojadas de toda vegetación tan alta como la cabeza de un hombre por miles de ciervos hambrientos.

Hasta entonces, Pensilvania, como la mayoría de los estados que permitían la caza de ciervos, permitía a cada cazador solo un dólar con al menos una cornamenta bifurcada cada año. Pero un macho generalmente se aparea con varias hembras, y la mayoría de los machos espinosos y otros machos sublegales son capaces de reproducirse. Debido a esto, la población de ciervos se había duplicado cada dos o tres años a pesar de la creciente matanza anual de ciervos. Y cada primavera, las hembras producían cientos de miles de cervatillos para los que no habría comida de invierno. En 1930, la Comisión de Caza de Pensilvania, ante la enconada oposición pública, declaró abierta la temporada de caza de ciervos sin hormigas. Entre 1931 y 1941, los cazadores mataron a más de 725.000 ciervos en Penn's Woods. Este trato severo pero necesario redujo el rebaño de cerca de la marca del millón a menos de medio millón. En los años posteriores, las temporadas especiales reguladas de ciervos sin astas, ahora generalmente aceptadas como una práctica de manejo estándar, han estabilizado la población de ciervos en alrededor de un óptimo de cuatrocientos mil.

En el sur y en el medio oeste al sur de los Grandes Lagos, la restauración del ciervo llegó más tarde. Pero todos los estados de estas regiones se beneficiaron de las técnicas desarrolladas y los errores cometidos por Pensilvania, Nueva York y Nueva Inglaterra. Tan recientemente como en 1930, la mayoría de los estados entre las Montañas Rocosas y los Apalaches todavía tenían comparativamente pocos o ningún venado de cola blanca. Al sur del Potomac en los Apalaches, la única manada de ciervos próspera estaba en el Bosque Nacional Pisgah en Carolina del Norte. En otras partes de los Apalaches, los montañeros, la ley o ninguna ley, consideraban la vida silvestre comestible como un juego limpio en cualquier momento.

Durante la Depresión, muchas de estas familias abandonaron las colinas. Sus granjas, y a veces pueblos enteros, fueron absorbidos por bosques y parques estatales y nacionales. Rápidamente se desarrolló otra vasta extensión de hábitat de primera calidad para los ciervos, todavía casi sin ciervos. Y nuevamente, el regreso de la cubierta coincidió fortuitamente con otro avance importante en el movimiento de conservación de la vida silvestre.

Hasta 1937, prácticamente todas las agencias estatales de vida silvestre recibían pocos o ningún ingreso, excepto por la venta de licencias de caza y pesca. Y a menudo las legislaturas estatales desviaron grandes porciones de estos fondos a la construcción de carreteras y otros proyectos no relacionados con la conservación de la vida silvestre.

Luego, en 1937, el Congreso aprobó la Ley de Ayuda Federal para la Restauración de la Vida Silvestre Pittman-Robertson. La ley asignó el actual impuesto especial del 11 por ciento sobre armas y municiones deportivas para que los estados lo utilicen en la financiación de proyectos de restauración de vida silvestre aprobados. También estipuló que para ser elegible para fondos federales, un estado tenía que aplicar todos los ingresos por licencias de caza para administrar su agencia de vida silvestre. Todos los estados cumplieron rápidamente.

En Oriente, el venado cola blanca fue uno de los primeros beneficiarios principales. En un período de tiempo notablemente corto, los esfuerzos de restauración en un estado tras otro dieron sus frutos. Los pequeños rebaños residentes que habían sobrevivido a los días oscuros del iSoo se multiplicaron y se extendieron. Los trasplantes de unos pocos animales se multiplicaron a miles en unos pocos años. Y a medida que sus bosques se volvieron a llenar de ciervos, un estado tras otro reabrió su temporada de caza cerrada durante mucho tiempo. En 1965, cuando Kansas sintió que tenía suficientes colas blancas para justificar una temporada abierta, todos los estados al este de las Montañas Rocosas se habían convertido nuevamente en un estado de “gran juego”.

Aunque la caza es desagradable para muchos, en ausencia de los controles naturales originales sobre el crecimiento de la población de ciervos, es esencial para el bienestar de los ciervos y de los bosques de los que dependen. En el otoño y principios del invierno de 1968, los cazadores de los Estados Unidos trajeron a casa casi un millón y medio de ciervos de cola blanca, ¡la mitad de los que existían en toda América del Norte hace solo cincuenta años! Pero eso fue menos de una quinta parte de la población de veranos.

Con casi todo el área de distribución adecuada en América completamente poblada, este es probablemente todo el venado de cola blanca que los bosques de América pueden soportar. Pero es suficiente. Los exitosos esfuerzos de conservación del pasado han sido reemplazados por la investigación científica, la aplicación de la ley y la gestión del hábitat. En la mayoría de los estados, las regulaciones de caza flexibles mantienen las poblaciones de ciervos en equilibrio con sus suministros de alimentos y aún aseguran la supervivencia cada año de un plantel de reproducción más que adecuado. En cuanto al futuro, la demanda constante de la economía estadounidense de productos de madera y de cuencas hidrográficas protegidas debería asegurar el mantenimiento de los grandes bloques de bosques jóvenes que los ciervos deben tener para prosperar. El venado de cola blanca debería estar presente durante muchos años.


Deer Island: una historia de tragedia humana recordada

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


Facebook

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


¿Sabías?

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.


Ver el vídeo: VISITA LOS CIERVOS 14 LOS RAULIES - PADRE HURTADO SUR.